Friday, December 28, 2012

Knowledge

I've been reading both "In My Father's House" and "The Hiding Place" by Corrie ten Boom. They are always good reads.

Corrie is the littlest with her 3 older siblings... Such an artsy photo!


One of my favorite stories was when Corrie was about 12, she'd often go with her father on short train trips to get watches and supplies, they would talk on the journeys. During one train trip she asked her dad what the word "sex" meant.
I like his reply...


He turned to look at me, as he always did when answering a question, but to my surprise he said nothing. At last he stood up, lifting his traveling case from the rack over our heads, and set it on the floor. 

"Will you carry it off the train Corrie?" he said.

I stood up and tugged at it. It was crammed with the watches and spare parts he had purchased that morning.

"It's too heavy," I said.

"Yes," he said. "And it would be a pretty poor father who would ask his little girl to carry such a load. Its the same way, Corrie, with knowledge. Some knowledge is too heavy for children. When you are older and stronger you can bear it. For now you must trust me to carry it for you."

And I was satisfied. More than satisfied - wonderfully at peace. There were answers to this, and all my hard questions - for now I was content to leave them in my Father's keeping.


This applies to a great many things we will teach or tell our children... they have to be ready to "carry" it.




No comments: