Saturday, August 2, 2008

Cloth Diapering...My Stash

So today I got my newborn cloth diapers in the mail. I have used cloth diapers since Addie was about 5 months old, but not 100% of the time. Up until about 4 months ago I only used cloth probably about 50-75% of the time. I have made the shift to doing it all the time and am really loving it. Before, it was a hassle, now it is just what we do. Another time I will explain my system, but for now I just want to list what I have and what I use it for.

Newborn:
- I have never cloth diapered a baby littler than 13 pounds, so this will be new to me.
12 prefolds (I may have to double that)
3 pull on Bummis Whisper Pants
2 Litewrap covers

Small: (Usually 12-18 pounds)
- I will have to get more for this size range...but am hoping to get some Bumgenius one-size diapers.
12 prefolds
4 Bummis covers (the older models)
2 Bummies Whisper Pants, for night use

Medium: (Usually 18-28 pounds)
6 prefolds (will fit a large baby too)
8 Happy Heiny pocket diapers
1 Thristies cover (fits a larger baby too)
1 Bummis Bright cover (fits a larger baby too)
2 Bummis Wisper Pant, for night use

Large: (Usually 26-36 pounds)
5 Happy Heiny pocket diapers

Other Odds and Ends:
12 small hemp inserts
6 medium hemp inserts
6 large hemp inserts
8 fleece liners
4 snappys
10 pins
Dozens of home made wipes
2 home made diaper pail liners

Wants/Needs:
5 Bumgenius one size fits all diapers
2 large Bummis Whisper Pants
2 dry bags for going out
1 pul diaper pail liner


Now that I list it, it looks like a TON of stuff. But really, it all fits in 2 drawers in our diaper changing dresser. I estimate that I have spent under $300. When you look at that most of these diapers will have been used by 3 babies and that I usually only buy a packet of paper diapers about 1 time every 3 months it is a pretty good value. I also don't really ever buy wipes, probably a big box every 6 months for use in the car and for trips.

No comments: