Friday, January 21, 2011

In the Word

We have this amazing Bible study we are a part of... 10 or so families and 20+ children.
We've been studying Colossians... it is a kick in the pants!!!

I've seen more and more how the Word is woven so finely and perfectly together... it renews my faith and makes me desire only God, all the time.

Here is this week's "kicker"...

Colossians 1:28-2:3

"We proclaim him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. To this end I labor, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me.


I want you to know how much I am struggling for you and for those at Laodicea, and for all who have not met me personally. My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge."



Thoughts...

1. Paul viewed people (all people) with this in mind... they are people that God loves and that God IS working in... trying to "perfect" or complete in Christ. And this is how we should view EVERYONE around us.


2. We are to "struggle and labor" like Paul did, to help others be made complete in Christ as well. But that we are granted "Christ's energy that works powerfully with in us."


3. "Encouraged" is the same word used for "the Helper" in reference to the Holy Spirit...


4. Understanding means... "to know true nature of things," Wisdom means... "to see things as they truly are."


5. Paul's hope and struggles were to encourage men, like the Holy Spirit helps us to fully understand (know the true nature of God) and to have wisdom (to see God and life as they truly are) so that they might experience and know Jesus who is the keeper of all wisdom and knowledge.


6. He knew this is what makes people complete and perfected... a full understanding and wisdom, in the experiential knowledge of God.


SUCH GOOD STUFF!




So, how does this effect me?


Well how I view others, my end goals in life and what God's plan is for me... to name a few.


I tend to view others on how easy they make my life... not how God is using the circumstances of their life to "perfect" them.

I tend to view my goals based around what I like or what makes me feel good, not around how God is making me "complete in Christ" "lacking nothing."


I tend to view God's plan as very one dimensional... that He is going to get me to Heaven and help me lead a "good" "easy" life on earth. Nothing could be farther than the truth! He wants me to have full understanding, knowledge and wisdom of Him... experiential knowledge... that only comes through experiencing God and the things He wants me to do.


And don't even get starting on "struggling" for others that they may have this "experiential knowledge of God." That is SO far beyond me at this point... it is SO hard to view the masses around me in this way!


Just read Colossians... really read it.


No comments: