Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Gift of Gifts

A devotion from "Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions."

O Source of All Good,
What shall I render to thee for the gift of gifts,
thine own dear Son, begotten, not created,
my redeemer, proxy, surety, substitute,
his infinity of love beyond the heart's grasp.
Herein is wonder of wonders:
he came below to raise me above, 
was born like me that I might become like him.
Herein is love;
when I cannot rise to him he draws near on wings of grace,
to raise me to himself.
Herein is power;
when Deity and humanity were infinitely apart
he united them in indissoluble unity, the uncreated and the created.
Herein is wisdom;
when I was undone, with no will to return to him,
and no intellect to devise recovery,
he cam, God-incarnate, to save me to the uttermost,
as a man to die my death,
to shed satisfying blood on my behalf,
to work out a perfect righteousness for me.

No comments: