Friday, December 23, 2011

Your First Birthday... With Us!

Dear Isaiah Allan Kizito,

It is your 5th birthday. But for me, your mom, it is your first birthday!





Today I have been doing a lot of thinking. Wondering what other birthdays were like for you... did you have a cake, or even a good meal? Did you even know it was your birthday? I think you did. But I still wonder what they were like. I especially wonder what that day was like when you first came into the world. Oh, how I wish I could have been there, even for a moment!

We've been told you were born at home, in a very small shack of a house. Ladies helped your young mom out and you must have come into the world safely... because you are here now. I know that someone looked at you with love or hope and wrapped you up tight in a blanket or cloth and put you in the arms of someone who would care about you. They might have said, "Wow, listen to that cry! He is a strong one!" or "Aren't his eyelashes long and beautiful?"

When I think about how you came into the world I think it is not unlike the birth of our Lord Jesus. Humble circumstances, very tenuous and difficult, but also divinely orchestrated for the glory of God!

Like so many other babies you could have died from cold, lack of care or complications, but you didn't! You lived, you grew, your path was planned very specifically, even up to this day. I hope you see that as you grow. I hope you will praise God and know that His plan is perfect and full of strength and hope!

"For you have been my hope, Sovereign LORD,my confidence since my youth. From birth I have relied on you; you brought me forth from my mother’s womb. I will ever praise you. I have become a sign to many; you are my strong refuge. My mouth is filled with your praise, declaring your splendor all day long." (Psalm 71:5-8)


I love you sweet boy! It is one of my life's greatest joys to get to know you! You go with the flow, take the next thing with fortitude. I like how you are growing and changing, not to become like us, but to be who God made YOU to be. But, you are becoming our son and we are becoming your mom and dad, day after day and little more here and there. We love it.


I hope that this year you will become confident in our love for you. That you will not doubt it or deny it. I hope you will become a brother who leads in our home and leads alongside your other brother, together! I hope you will tell us your thoughts and feelings and preferences as you learn and grow.


We are so thankful for you Allan-ee! You are special to us. You are the only Isaiah Allan Kizito in the whole wide world (I am thinking... if there is another I would sure be surprised). But even if there is, you are still uniquely YOU... and we are thankful to God for directing our paths to join up in the middle!


Love, Mom






No comments: