Thursday, April 28, 2011

Fried Plantain Chips

While shopping at Wallymart I saw a plantain! I was pretty excited. I have not ever eaten plantain prior or visiting Uganda. To be honest, I didn't really care for it. But I thought, hum... maybe I might try it again.

So I found this easy and appetizing recipe on this site HERE for fried plantain chips.

My biggest challenge was figuring out how to get the thing peeled! My word. It isn't like a banana, is it?


The trick is to score down the "ridges" and then get your thumb in it and separate the skin from the fruit.

It is also much more firm than a banana... and not sweet.

So then I heated a pan of olive oil... just really letting the oil cover the bottom of the pan.
I cut the plantain into 1/8" thick slices... and really in my opinion the thinner the better.
Then popped them in the pan, one layer.


They were brown and crispy in no time.
I salted them with Lawry's Season Salt.
And made an imitation "African Hot Sauce" by taking ketchup and adding Talapito's hot sauce to taste.

Yum! They were tasty!

Even Cora (the baby) chowed down. She called them "crackers."
Addie couldn't get over the fact the looked like bananas but didn't taste like it... she ate one and passed on the rest.
Elias just chowed down and didn't comment, like a typical boy.

I think it is a keeper recipe!

1 comment:

Angela said...

I'll have to try this recipe! I'm on the look out for Ugandan recipes and haven't came across to many yet. We love plantains but always make them Guatemalan style. Slice a very ripe (wait till the skin is almost totally black) plantain and fry in butter or oil till crispy around the edges. Sprinkle with just a little brown sugar while frying them.
YUMMY :)