Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Buckets, Sheets and The Gift of Time

So, on Sunday I looked ahead at the week ahead of me and realized we had something planned very single night this week. I even had to decline a ladies night out with some friends because we were so booked up! Some of the obligations were enjoyable, some not so much. I looked ahead with mixed overwhelmedness (yeah I know it isn't a word, but it works) and with awe that we could be so busy. Such a far cry from our Crossville days!
However, I have been reading a book for my book club (one of those scheduled events) called "Receiving the Day." It is about the Christian practices that help us understand time and enjoy the fullness of the time God has given us. I thought this was a bit ironic to read during a week where time seemed to be taking over my life and dictating what I was to do. However, God sought to teach me a lesson in His sovereignty in my life and over time.
Monday I got up, did my normal things, grocery shopping, made a meal for a friend, took a shower and then enjoyed a scheduled dinner with friends that are moving. It was nice, but the whole time I was trying to not think about the days of busyness ahead. Tuesday I woke up, planning to go to a MOPS park play date that afternoon and my book club that night. I fretted because I had to read 3 more chapters and didn't see how I could get it all done. That is when the buckets and sheets came in... Addie threw up! Buckets came out, sheets spread to catch what I missed. Nothing stops life like the good ole' stomach flu. She continued through out the day and into the night. I still couldn't leave my planning alone. I began planning who would get sick next, what Tim and I would have to do to make it through this with sick kids and sick ourselves...and so on!
Again, God teaches me, we haven't gotten sick yet, but poor Addie just got worse and worse. A crazy high fever, not eating, more horrid throwing up! She ended up in the ER by noon and is spending the night for observation tonight (that is why I am up). She is ok, nothing too serious, just really dehydrated and some side effect of this flu. Poor girl!
Any way, the rest of my week is now clear. Nothing is planned now. God is in complete control of all our days and just when we start to think we have it all planned out we discover that we don't have the first clue. In more ways than one I have learned the importance of surrendered time unto the Lord. I was reflecting that time is like money; as I know that all I have in assets is the Lord's to be given and taken as he pleases, so too is time. It is a gift, each day, each hour, each moment is the Lord's gift to me to be used so carefully. How incredibly presumptuous it is to schedule out a week, to expect the Lord to do as I plan. How wonderful it is that the Lord knows my "schedule" sees it is a wreck and intervenes on my behalf. However, I hope that he can leave out the buckets and sheets next time!
Psa. 139:16 "All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."
Prov. 16:9 "In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."
Psa. 90:12 "Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."

No comments: