Here is my very own sushi alternative. It is easier than rolling, but tastes just as good! Also, below is a recipe for sushi rice, but I use it for most Asian rice I make as it tastes so good. Enjoy!
3 cups sushi rice cooked
1 package cream cheese, softened
1 cup cucumber, thinly sliced
½ avocado, thinly sliced
1 cup cooked filleted shrimp or shredded teriyaki chicken
3 sheets nori
2 tablespoons wasabi
1. Cook rice and let cool to room temperature.
2. Prepare a 9x9 square cake pan or one just slightly bigger by covering the bottom with saran wrap.
3. In bottom of the pan place a single layer of cucumbers. Then cover the cucumbers with a layer of rice. Press rice down with wet fingers.
4. Cover 1st layer of rice with a layer of nori.
5. Mix softened cream cheese with wasabi and mix well. Cover nori with cream cheese.
6. Place pieces of shrimp or meat of choice and the sliced avocados all over cream cheese.
7. Cover filling with a final and thicker layer of rice, using wet fingers to press into place.
8. Cover final layer with more saran wrap and press rice down firmly all over to pack it into place.
9. Refrigerate for 1-hour minimum or over night. When ready to serve remove top layer of saran wrap from pan, invert “sushi cake” on a cutting board. With a wet sharp knife cut into squares or rectangles that are the same size. You may have to clean knife between each cut and re-wet it.
10. Serve with ginger, wasabi and soy sauce. Enjoy!!!
3 cups sushi rice
3-4 cups water
4 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
- Ignore the directions on the bag that the rice came from and rinse the rice only 3-5 times. The water does NOT have to run clear.
- Place rice to drain in a strainer.
Drain for one hour in the winter, 30 min in the summer. (Sounds strange, but is true).
- While rice is draining, combine water, vinegar, sugar, and salt in a big pot and mix well.
- Bring quickly to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
Cover the pot and DON'T touch it until the end, NO PEEKING!!!
Cook for 15 minutes before removing the pot from the heat but keep the lid CLOSED.
- Let rice rest for 10-15 min and then remove the cover.
- Mix rice gently, careful not to break it. Sushi rice is best used at body temperature.