Every fall my sweet husband makes me soup... this was my #1 favorite he has ever made!
2 pounds butternut or acorn squash (or a mixture of both)
8 oz. bacon
1 T. olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 t. ground cumin
1 T. ground coriander
2 cups diced potatoes
4 cups chicken or veggie stock
2 t. cornstarch
1/4 cup sour cream
Hot pepper sauce to taste
Salt and ground pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups swiss cheese, grated, to top
1. Process the squash by cutting off skin, removing seeds, washing and cutting into bite sized cubes.
2. Chop up bacon.
3. Heat oil in a large stock pot, add in onions, garlic and cook for 5 minutes until they become soft.
4. Add the bacon and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in spices and cook over low heat for a few minutes longer.
5. Add the chopped squash, potatoes and stock. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes, until squash and potatoes are tender.
6. Blend cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water. Stir into soup and bring to a boil. Add sour cream.
7. Add hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve topped with swiss cheese, a crusty bread and a salad.
BEST MEAL FOR THE FALL!!!