Corn and Shrimp Chowder
Another one of Tim's amazingly delicious soups!
2 cobs of corn, cut off
2 1/2 cups milk
1 T. butter
1 green onion, chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped bacon
1 garlic clove crushed
1 small yellow bell pepper diced
1 celery stalk chopped
1 medium potato peeled and diced
1 T. flour
2 cups chicken or veggie stock
1 1/2 cups shrimp, de-vein, remove tail
A pinch of paprika
2/3 cups cream (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Using a knife slice down the corn cobs to remove the kernels. Place half of the kernels in a food processor to blend with a little milk. Set aside.
2. Melt butter in a large stock pot, add in the onion, bacon, garlic and fry for 5 minutes.
3. Add in the bell pepper, celery, and potato and let sweat for 5 minutes. Stir often.
4. Stir in the flour to make a rue. Stir until it is thick, bubbly and browned. Stir in the milk and corn mixture, stock, milk and whole corn kernels and seasoning.
5. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, partially covered for 20 minutes until veggies are tender.
6. Add shrimp to the soup. Let them cook fully, add in cream if desired. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.