Thursday, October 11, 2012

Bowing In Respect

Just remembered I had this photo... It is Allan's Jjajja instructing him to bow his head and kneel to me, when we first met... to show appropriate respect in greeting. And there is me (western uncouth woman) actually bowing before him... (trying to get on his level and help him not be afraid of me.)


Smile.
We met in the middle. 
Two cultures colliding.
It has worked out.


Allan is a really respectful boy.

At first I would get a bit frustrated by his awkward/strange behavior when he would meet people... that he didn't look people in the eyes, acted shy and "meek"... but I forget. That is what he was taught and trained to do for the first 5 years of his life. He was being respectful!

At least he doesn't kneel before people.

Cultures. Traditions. Customs.


No comments: