About a year ago I had a wonderful pear tart topped with Chai ice cream at one of our local nice restaurants... I was hooked! Ever since I've been hunting for Chai Ice Cream... had it one other time at an ingenious ice cream parlor known for odd favors. There and then I determined to make my own... Here are my results.
2 cups of heavy cream
2/3 cup of sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
4 of egg yolks (this thickens and adds nice favor)... really don't leave them out, I was skeptical too.
1 cup of whole milk
1 T. cinnamon
1 1/4 cup liquid chai concentrate (the stronger the better)
- Heat cream, sugar and vanilla over med heat until simmering.
- Meanwhile place egg yolks in medium bowl and whisk.
- Whisk 1 cup of the hot cream mixture into egg yolks then add yolk mixture back into the rest of the cream mixture and heat to 160 degrees or until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and add milk and chai, mix in cinnamon.
- Chill to room temperature and then refrigerate to cold before freezing in an ice cream maker.