Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Chai Ice Cream

About a year ago I had a wonderful pear tart topped with Chai ice cream at one of our local nice restaurants... I was hooked! Ever since I've been hunting for Chai Ice Cream... had it one other time at an ingenious ice cream parlor known for odd favors.  There and then I determined to make my own... Here are my results.


Ingredients:

2 cups of heavy cream

2/3 cup of sugar

1 t. vanilla extract

4 of egg yolks (this thickens and adds nice favor)... really don't leave them out, I was skeptical too.

1 cup of whole milk

1 T. cinnamon

1 1/4 cup liquid chai concentrate (the stronger the better)

 

Directions:

  • Heat cream, sugar and vanilla over med heat until simmering.
  • Meanwhile place egg yolks in medium bowl and whisk.
  • Whisk 1 cup of the hot cream mixture into egg yolks then add yolk mixture back into the rest of the cream mixture and heat to 160 degrees or until slightly thickened.
  • Remove from heat and add milk and chai, mix in cinnamon.
  • Chill to room temperature and then refrigerate to cold before freezing in an ice cream maker.
If you make this, please let me know what Chai you used... I'd like to hear what you think is best!... I used Oregon Chai... it was a bit too sweet and didn't have the "bite" I wanted. 

No comments: