Monday, June 9, 2008

And it begins...

In about an hour camp officially begins! The start of camp is such a mixture of feelings for me. I look forward to it because I enjoy the staff, getting to know new people, seeing kids around the camp, the hussle and bussle, and seeing God work in amazing ways!  I dread it because I know I will be in a state of semi-single parenting for a few months, staff not knocking on our door (just walking right on in) and I always feel a pressure to "measure up" to what I think other's expectations of me are. 
This year the transition from "normal life" to "camp life" has been even more difficult.  For one thing, the other young couple that had worked here have left and I find myself with less companionship and support...I am not sure where I really belong.  Also, their little ones kept my little ones occupied and happy.  That is the other very difficult part of this summer, Addie has had a horrible time adjusting to the routine of camp. She is just whiny and acting out behaviorally in every way possible. I'm really growing weary of discipline and trying to be sensitive to her in this.  I keep repeating Gal. 6:9 "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Easier said than done, I think. 
However, I do take hope in the fact that this crazy life will seem perfectly normal to us in a week or two and that for all of the issues that arise my children get to be loved on by 10 great college students, we get to show them the blessings of marriage and family and we get an opportunity to practice the principles of our faith through servanthood, denying self, loving others and humility on an nearly hourly basis.  God is good to allow us these things and to surprise us with others!  Here begins another amazing adventure. God be with us!!! 

No comments: